Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Vista House

Although I have lived many years of my adult life in the Portland area, I visited Vista House for the first time last Friday on our day trip to Multnomah Falls.
Vista House is 24 miles east of Portland on I-84.  It was "built between 1916-1918 as a memorial to Oregon pioneers, as a comfort station for those traveling on the Historic Columbia River Highway and as an observatory. The octagonal stone structure towers 733 feet above the Columbia River and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places..."  (http://www.vistahouse.com/









In addition to its spectacular location and interesting design, I was intrigued by some of the special features such as the stained glass windows.  We enjoyed visiting the historical display and the gift shop inside the building, too.

Vista House was an unexpected bonus on our trip to Multnomah Falls - almost like we had made a discovery in our own back yard!  I now wonder how many other "gems" there are to explore less than an hour's drive from home.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment