Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Love Your Credit Union!

I grew up with the words "credit union."  My dad was treasurer/manager of a small start-up credit union; their office was in the alcove on the second floor of our home in the 1950s.  When we moved to a new home in the 1960s, the formal dining room became the credit union office.  As it grew, it eventually moved to its own office space and then to its own building.

To earn spending money (coins, not bills), we were sometimes assigned the task of rubber-stamping the address and phone number on endless pieces of credit union literature.  Occasionally, when the books wouldn't balance, my dad would have us check the numbers on a long adding machine tape while he read off the shareholder ledgers.  (This was before the computer age!)

Today I still belong to a credit union - a new one that I joined last summer when I moved back to Portland.  I've been very happy with their service and have even recommended it to a couple of people.  (check out http://www.unitusccu.com/)  

When I tried to use my debit card at the post office today, it wasn't accepted.  Wondering what was going on, I drove home and became busy with various tasks.  About 5:00pm, I realized my phone had not been on and discovered a message from my credit union. 

I called back and found out that a merchant security breach had prompted them to "disable" a group of debit cards to prevent unauthorized activity.  The credit union employee explained all this to me in a very pleasant and patient manner, assuring me a new card would arrive in the mail soon.  Their quality of service reminded me of how pleased I am to be a member.

No comments:

Post a Comment