Sunday, June 26, 2011

Composition for Collage

After struggling with a scrapbook layout earlier this spring, I decided to take an on-line class called "Composition for Collage."  It's offered by Big Picture Classes (http://www.bigpictureclasses.com/), and the teacher, Claudine Hellmuth, is great.  (http://www.claudinehellmuth.blogspot.com/)

Since I look at a scrapbook page as a collage of sorts, I thought this composition class might help me out.  I am learning a lot (not having had an art class since 7th grade), and I'm having fun.  Here is one of my first assignments:


This is intended to be an example of "horizontal composition" which I hope is illustrated by the rock formations against the sky as well as the highway and its yellow stripe. 

I enjoyed putting my "vignette composition" together:


A four-week class won't make me an expert on composition, but I am hoping it will aid in my future scrapbooking efforts.  Now, if I can only learn how to crop photos for posting in my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment