Saturday, January 22, 2011

Slow Down!

Sometimes I wish I could say, "Slow Down!" to technology.  As in, "Please do not make cell phones do anything else until I catch up with all the features of my 2009 Samsung."  I realize it is now 2011, but technology seems to be advancing with the speed of an Olympic runner.

Not only do I have to understand the rudiments of how my cell phone works, but I have to be able to push little buttons accurately, read the small print on the screen, and hear the caller through whatever interference or background noise is present. 

For my twenty-something niece and nephews, this is no problem.  (And, let's not even talk about texting!  The speed with which their thumbs work the keys would make that Olympic runner sweat!)

Even when I use a cell phone and computer every day, they still sometimes upset my comfort zone.  Just when I'm becoming accustomed to a familiar piece of hardware or a frequently used software program, a problem arises that might require an upgrade, or more memory, or a different kind of port, or a replacement part (that may no longer be available.)

Slow Down!  Do you think if I yell it loud enough and long enough that technological change will decrease its speed?  No way.  So what am I going to do?

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment