Saturday, January 1, 2011

Eight Days A Week

Besides the fact that I'm in the Beatles generation, I've always liked the phrase "eight days a week."  What if there were eight days in a week?

In my eight-day week, the work week would still be five days.  The sixth day would be for yard work, volunteer work, shopping or whatever.  The seventh day would be for church and family.  And there would still be one day left - just for me!

What would it be like if everyone had one day a week when they could work on their own intentions and activities?  A day earmarked to read the book I've always meant to read, to get together with the friend I haven't seen for months, to pursue a craft that interests me, to take a class in something I've always been curious about. 

The only criteria for this day is that I do things (or perhaps not do things) that I choose.  Not because someone else wants me to read the book.  Not because the friend has been hounding me for a get-together.  But, choosing for myself what I want to do on this day.

Sounds like a beautiful fantasy to me!  Eight days a week - seven days to take care of responsibilities and commitments to others (family, work, church, community) - and one day to take care of myself.

How would my life change under such a plan?  Not only on the eighth day, but on all the days of the week.  Might I become different myself in some way? 

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment