Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Rule Number 11

When the job is done, walk away.  (Gibbs' Rule #11 on NCIS)

I randomly typed "Rule Number 11" into Google and this is what I came up with (according to http://www.ncisfanwiki.com/)

This rule reminds me of what I find hardest about blogging - to write my blog entry and then let it go.  I'm always tempted to go back, read it again, edit it further, go back, read it again, edit it further, go back . . .  Okay, you get the idea.

I don't know if there are any rules for blogging, but this might be a pretty good one.  "When the job is done, walk away."  Once the blog is published, let it go.  The aim is expression, not perfection.

This has been a challenge for me in scrapbooking, too.  I have been taught that I can work on a scrapbook page as long as I need or want to - but I can also resist the urge to go back and re-do the page later.  Over time, I may change my scrapbooking style.  I certainly hope I've improved my technique.  But there is no reason to re-do pages I created five years ago because they do not meet my expectations today.

Television does not always provide me with reliable guidelines for living, but I think NCIS is on the right track. Finish the work, Sandi, and and move on.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. The job of a writer...writing and rewriting. Great post Sandi. I am going to do my best not to rewrite.

    ReplyDelete