Sunday, January 23, 2011

Embracing New Technology

They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.  (Confucius)

(continuing from yesterday's blog)  So, what am I going to do?  Well, I may not be embracing new technology, but at least I'm giving it a pat on the shoulder.  It has provided me a convenient way to write and edit, to pay my bills, to research any topic, and so on.  I am thankful for the tools that technology has provided and how they support me in life in 2011.

I am also thankful for my fantastic computer tech who helps me to make certain that virus infections and security breaches are blocked.  He ensures I am protected against power surges, backed up in case of disk failure, and probably a lot of other things I can't even describe.

One of the best things technology has given me is an appreciation for some of the things that have been around for centuries.  The warmth of a hug or handshake or the energy of a live concert renews me like nothing I've seen on a computer or heard on a cell phone.  The texture of the yellowed pages in a book belonging to my grandfather or the thrill that I have felt for over 50 years whenever I walk into a library - these are things that technology has been unable to duplicate. 

Confucius said that change is necessary in order to experience happiness or wisdom.  I'm sure he was correct.  I just wish that technological change would walk or jog instead of sprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment