Monday, January 10, 2011

Letting Go

Some things are easier for me to let go of than others.  When clearing out Mom's house last year, I found it relatively easy to toss old household items, old magazines, and old clothes.  Letters and photos, however, I tended to hold on to - even if I didn't know who the writer of the letter or the person in the photo was.

A book or a movie can be hard to let go of - if I've anticipated reading it or watching it, I tend to go through the whole thing whether I'm really enjoying it or not.  Sometimes I feel like I've won a victory if I can manage to shut the book or turn off the DVD player to make better use of my time and attention.  (I won't even go into the subject of television programs.)

Giving up certain activities is easy; for example, I do very little ironing.  On the other hand, if I start to worry, feelings come up that are very hard for me to dismiss, even while my brain tells me that "worry accomplishes nothing."  Whether it feels like guilt, rejection, fear, etc., doesn't matter - it's much more draining than ironing or any other task.

More and more, it seems like saying good-bye - whether to old magazines, disappointing movies, or worry - seems to be the key to a more fulfilling life.  By releasing clutter, discerning what is or is not worth completing, and re-focusing my unproductive thoughts and feelings - all these give me more freedom to welcome new energy, new activities, and new people into my life.

(See also January 4 entry, "Rule Number 11")

No comments:

Post a Comment