Sunday, April 17, 2011

60 Minutes Tonight

I've heard that CBS' 60 Minutes will have a report on Three Cups of Tea and its authors tonight.  Apparently, there are some doubts about the veracity of the book and even about the management of the related charity, Central Asia Institute.

Because reading this book has been on my "to do" list for several years - and I finally read it late last year - the announcement of this upcoming program feels disturbing.  Have I been hoodwinked into reading a book that is a pack of lies?  Is the 60 Minutes segment going to attack someone who has been painted as a crusader for education, especially the education of girls, in central Asia?  Or, is it going to reveal a hoax that has greatly exaggerated and/or distorted the activities of Greg Mortenson and the Central Asia Institute?

The feelings and the questions that come up for me almost make me doubt my own ability to formulate meaningful goals.  Was I completely misled in making this book a priority read for myself?  Was I totally naive to believe most of what I read?

I remind myself that I believe in lifelong learning.  Most of what I've learned in the past holds true, but being open to new information and experience may change or even disprove what I think I "know." 

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment