Monday, April 18, 2011

60 Minutes Last Night

I watched the 60 Minutes report on Three Cups of Tea last night with mixed feelings.  I felt I had been misled about how many schools were being built and how many children were being reached by Greg Mortenson and the Central Asia Institute.  I felt disappointed in the reports of questionable financial practices.  I felt a sense of futility when I saw school buildings that were currently being used as storage sheds.  And, I felt sadness as I thought about how many children do not have the chance to go to school - something I tend to take for granted.

Yet even those who criticized Mortenson and the CAI had to admit the impact that has been made on the people of Pakistan and Afghanistan.  Author Jon Krakauer, who vigorously criticized Three Cups of Tea and the CAI's financial practices, also said of Mortenson, "He has done a lot of good. He has helped thousands of school kids in Pakistan and Afghanistan....He has become perhaps the world's most effective spokesperson for girls' education in developing countries. And he deserves credit for that."  (http://www.cbsnews.com/)

Whatever the "facts" of the matter, Mortenson could have done some things differently.  What strikes me, however, is that he did something.  He did something in a difficult place at a difficult time.  Geographical, political, and many other factors were not favorable - but Mortenson took action.  He may not have done it right - if there even is one right way to do something - but he did it.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment