Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Sylvia Beach Hotel

I just returned from a stay at the Sylvia Beach Hotel in Newport on the Oregon Coast.  Although I have visited Newport many times and have actually been inside the hotel to visit the gift shop and peek into a couple of the rooms, this is the first time I've actually been a guest.  Why did I wait so long?

For those not familiar with this unique beachfront inn, its guest rooms are each decorated to represent authors and their works.  I stayed in the J.K. Rowling Room decorated to reflect many of the details in her Harry Potter books.  In fact, everywhere I turned, there was another object connected with Harry, from the white owl in the hanging cage to the display of magic wands upon the wall.

Other rooms are decorated in honor of Agatha Christie, Dr. Seuss, Mark Twain, and many other authors.  There is also a community room with comfy seating, a selection of books and puzzles, and a spectacular ocean view.  A hot breakfast is included with each night's stay, and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Go to http://www.sylviabeachhotel.com/ to find out more.  As Harry would say, "It's brilliant!"

No comments:

Post a Comment