Saturday, March 19, 2011

Harbingers of Spring

Many years ago, a neighbor complimented me on my dress, saying that I looked like "a harbinger of spring."  I was quite young at the time and not sure what a "harbinger" was; I hope I remembered to say "thank you."

I know now that a harbinger is someone or something that  signals the approach of what is to come.  The neighbor was complimenting me because, in wearing that dress, I reminded her of something desirable that was coming soon.

A harbinger of spring can be many things to many people:
  • The blooming of a daffodil
  • The appearance of the star Arcturus
  • The first sighting of a robin
  • The baseball equipment truck headed for spring training
And these are only a few examples!

Whether I get excited about blossoming trees or opening day for my favorite team or just warmer temperatures, there is a sense of anticipation.  I am looking forward to things I enjoy.

What is good to remember is that every moment is a part of the process; every day is a step in the journey from here to there.  Do I want to wait until the sun is shining and gardens are bright with flowers - or do I want to embrace life now?

1 comment: