Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Faith and Hope

More than once, I've found myself in discussions about whether there is a difference between faith and hope.  Not everyone looks at these words in the same way; I'm not sure I always look at them in the same way.

One year ago (September 25, 2010 to be exact), I started writing this blog.  I hoped that I would be able to keep it up, but I don't think I had faith that it would actually happen.  The more I blog entries I wrote, the more my faith in my ability to keep blogging increased. 

As my birthday approaches, I am thinking about my blogging future.  I now have a lot more faith in myself as a blogger.  I have faith that I will continue blogging into my sixty-first year.  What I hope is that I will blog even more regularly.  I hope that the content of my entries will be more relevant and substantive.  I hope I can figure out how to reach more people with my blog.

As I write this, I'm starting to think about how the words faith and hope might apply to other areas of my life.  When I set goals and intentions for the coming year, where do faith and hope come into the process?  I am reminded of a familiar passage:

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.  (Hebrews 11:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment