Sunday, May 22, 2011

Going, going . . .

Since mid-April, I have been on a schedule of gradually decreasing one of my medications (a prescription I have been taking for 19 years).  It is a slow process, recommended by my physician, designed to minimize any symptoms of withdrawal.  The first couple of weeks was no problem, and I thought, "this is going to be easy." 

As May started, and my dosage was further reduced, life was a little more challenging.  By the 10th of the month, I felt doubtful whether I could continue.  Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all?  Or maybe I had reached a point where I could go no further?  In other words, maybe I wasn't going to get to my goal of no longer taking the medication at all.

I felt exhausted and confused.  Fortunately, a friend urged me to call my doctor.  Talking with him helped to clarify my thinking, and I decided to stick with my plan of gradual decrease.  That was May 12.

Ten days later, I am still on track to be completely done with this medication by June 1.  Some days are going better than others, but I feel optimistic about accomplishing this goal.

I am grateful for a physician who is committed to helping patients find a treatment plan that works well for them.  I am grateful for the support of the family and friends who know what I am working on.  And, I am grateful for the inner guidance to do what is best for my health and the strength to see it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment